Thursday, February 18, 2010

28 Reasons I Love Hamilton... Reason 18

Why write 28 reasons I love Hamilton?

1. Hamilton is a CITY.
2. The Location
3. The size (population)
4. The scale
5. Creativity and the arts
6. The buildings
7. The nature

8. The film industry
9. The markets and restaurants
10. The trails, paths, and running routes
11. Gore Park
12. The climate
13. The safety
14. The landscapes and views
15. The ability to live modestly
16. The sports teams
17. The schools

18. The entertainment options.

There's a lot of great options for entertainment in the city, whatever form you prefer.

One day we were driving by Copps, I saw all these dads and little kids heading towards the doors. The guys seemed to be dressed similarly - cut-off sleeves, pale jeans, baseball caps. The kids were dressed... well, like little kids.


"What's here? Monster trucks?" said I.
"Uh... nope, swing and a miss" said Jarod, pointing to the giant sign for Miley Cyrus up ahead.

Those poor dads...

Okay, so Miley isn't my thing. Chances are, though, that your thing is here - whether that's festivals, theater, waterfront stuff, parades, dancing, concerts, sports, movies... it's here.

And a lot of great entertainment here is inexpensive or free too.
The one event we see every year is Cirque du Soleil, and the priciest I'll go.

One of my favorite moments a year ago or so was going to a performance at Hamilton Place. I can't remember her name, but the singer was performing comic renditions of famous songs and arias, complete with costume changes and characters. It was entertaining, it was fun, and it was well done.


It was a perfect event for what I saw in front of me: a mother with her two (or three?) young kids, all dressed up and paying attention. They were quietly asking questions about the songs being sung, and she spent time quietly explaining to them what it meant and what the costume changes were for and so on and so forth... I love it. I want that to be me and Jar with our kids someday, explaining the exact same things and helping them dress up for the occasion.

No comments: